Sunday, January 22, 2012

Make Me a Man After Thine Own Heart

In chapter 29 of the book named after him, a frustrated Job defends his integrity with the powerful words in verses 21-21.


"Because I delivered the poor that cried, and the fatherless, and him that had none to help him. The blessing of him that was ready to perish came upon me: and I caused the widow's heart to sing for joy. I put on righteousness, and it clothed me: my judgment was as a robe and a diadem. I was eyes to the blind, and feet was I to the lame. I was a father to the poor: and the cause which I knew not I searched out. And I brake the jaws of the wicked, and plucked the spoil out of his teeth. Then I said, I shall die in my nest, and I shall multiply my days as the sand. My root was spread out by the waters, and the dew lay all night upon my branch. My glory was fresh in me, and my bow was renewed in my hand. Unto me men gave ear, and waited, and kept silence at my counsel."


This is the description of a godly man. This is what men are supposed to be. Yet, this week, God has showed me how few men like this there are. I've really been grieving that those who are called to protect and defend are cowering in the shadows. Those who are called to follow Christ, and only Him, have been lured away by the world and its temporal pleasures.

Rise up, O men of God!
Have done with lesser things.
Give heart, and mind, and soul, and strength
To serve the King of kings.


Men who are truly seeking the Lord with a whole heart are a dying breed. But I want to be one of them. I want to be one God's Mighty Men. I want to be a spiritual warrior who, by the strength of Jesus Christ, stands as a solid rock against the onslaught of the world. Whatever the cost, whether by life or by death, I want to bring glory to Jesus Christ.

Lord, make me your image-bearer and a man after your own heart, I pray!

2 comments:

  1. Amen, Elijah. God always has a remnant, and you are part of it. Don't ever stop striving for the total excellence of Christ! Thank you for your heart to be all that God has created you to be. As you said, it's very rare. Fight the good fight -the battle is the Lord's, and we are so honored to fight amongst His ranks. :) praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If that is your heart's cry,God WILL work that in your heart! You will be scorned if you really are a man of God!! There will be people Who won't necessarily hate you, but hate Jesus who is in you! I believe the more we really see God for who he is, the more the things of this world WILL grow strangly dim in the light of HIS glory and grace!!! God really wants men that will stand in the gap and be among the few! But that is when God can really show forth his power, it's through the few, the small numbers, insignificant people in the worlds eyes!! Like Gideon's army for one!!! Wow, God is so amazing!!Don't lose the fire, even if everyone around you thinks you're crazy.....God bless you!

    ReplyDelete